Picture coming next time I make it - no time, this time around
Sweet Potato & Pear Casserole
From The New Jewish Holiday Cookbook
Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Bake time: 40 minutes
3 lb/ 1.4 kg sweet potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced in rounds (about 5 cups)
½ cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
3 tbsp brown sugar
3½ tbsp flour
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground ginger
3 tbsp butter or margarine
3 medium soft, ripe pears, (Bartlett or Anjou work well), cored and thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C
2. Put sliced raw sweet potatoes in a large pot and add 1” of water. Cover, bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to simmer to steam the sweet potatoes for about 20 minutes or until fork-tender, but not mushy. Remove from heat and drain well. Normally I microwave sweet potatoes for 5 – 10 minutes to get the same results, but with so many sweet potatoes, it would take longer than the 20 minutes to steam on the stove.
3. In the meantime, combine the nuts, brown sugar, flour and spices in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Grease a 2 ½ quart oven-proof casserole and place ½ - 1/3 of the sweet potatoes (the book does 3 layers, but my dish could only hold 2), top with a layer of pears, then nut mixture. Repeat once or twice, depending on your casserole dish. The top layer is the nuts.
5. Cover and bake for 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes vegetables sweet potato