Baked Garlicky Tomatoes Wings
Adapted from Contorni
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 15 minutes
2 large tomatoes, cut in half, crosswise
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
¾ cup bread crumbs
½ cup each, fresh basil & parsley, coarsely chopped
Salt & black pepper to taste
Anchovy fillets (optional – I forgot to add them this time around)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and place the tomato halves cut side down. Let them cook for about 5 minutes. They’ll release juices and brown slightly.
3. Transfer the tomatoes, cut side up to an oiled oven proof dish.
4. In the same skillet, sauté the garlic until fragrant (about 1 minute) and add the breadcrumbs. Toss with the liquid (tomato juice and oil) and remove from heat. Add the herbs and salt and pepper.
5. Generously top the tomato halves with the breadcrumb mixture. This is when you’re supposed to top everything with an anchovy fillet. Bake until it sizzles and is bubbly – about 15 minutes. The tomatoes will be soft and the topping crunchy.
This time I served them with baked fish, but they'd be great to complement grilled steak or chicken.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes vegetable