Monday, October 16, 2006
Moroccan Style Potato Kugel
Moroccan-style Potato Kugel
Based on a recipe from Is That My Bureka?
Prep time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 45 minutes or so
Serves 6 – 8
2 pounds peeled baking (russet potatoes - 2 large ones)
chicken broth and water to cover the potatoes
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 onions, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
6 large eggs
2 tbsp lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
1/2 teaspoon hot paprika [optional]
1/2 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
4 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
1 large carrot, peeled
½ cup chopped cilantro
1. Peel and cut the potatoes and carrot into chunks and put in a large pot with enough cold water and broth to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, until fork-tender, about 20-25 minutes. Drain and mash potatoes and carrot while still warm
2. Add the eggs, one by one mixing after each addition and set aside when well blended.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Place an 8”x8” square ovenproof dish into the oven with the vegetable oil. The hot oil will make the outside of the potatoes nice and crispy. It takes about 5 minutes to get really hot.
4. In a large skillet, heat a little oil over medium heat and add onions and sauté until lightly golden approximately 10 minutes. Add the garlic and toss until fragrant.
5. Add the onions, cilantro and rest of the seasonings to the potatoes and blend well.
6. Carefully spoon the potato mixture into the baking dish and dust the top with more paprika. Bake until golden about 45-50 minutes.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Do not freeze.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes vegetable