Crock Pot Lasagna
From Every Kitchen Tells Its Stories
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total Cooking time: 5-6 hours
Serves 8 and freezes well
1 box precooked lasagna noodles (12 noodles)
4 cups torn spinach
2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
½ cup pesto
¾ cup mozzarella, shredded (3 oz)
¾ cup provolone, shredded (3 oz)
15 oz ricotta cheese
1 large egg, beaten
¾ cup parmesan cheese
6 cups tomato-basil sauce
2 cups thinly sliced pepperoni (optional)
1. Steam or microwave spinach until it wilts. Drain, squeeze dry and chop.
2. Combine cooked spinach, raw mushrooms & pesto in medium bowl and set aside.
3. Combine cheeses with beaten egg in separate bowl
4. Pour the sauce in another bowl.
5. In 6 quart electric crock pot layer ingredients as follows:
Layer of sauce (just enough to lightly cover the bottom of the pot
Layer of noodles (3)
Layer of cheese mixture (1/3)
Layer of spinach mushroom mixture (1/3)
Layer of pepperoni (1/3) optional
Layer of sauce (1/3)
Repeat layering two more times
Sprinkle with ½ cup more parmesan
6. Cover with lid and cook on LOW for 5 hours or until done.
7. Sprinkle with ½ cup more Parmesan cheese for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
Tips & Variations
This recipe really does freeze well. Just divide it up into 1-2 serving portions first.
I used my own Lazy Tomato Sauce recipe but you can try experimenting with different bottled sauce mixes like tomato and roasted garlic or add some crushed dried chili pepper flakes for some heat.
It goes great with a salad and some garlic bread or toasted focaccia slices with pesto and melted cheese.
If you don't have a crockpot, you can make bake it in the oven at 350 F/180 C for an hour.
My pretty, but seldom used slow cooker usually lives in the back of a closet and rarely sees the light of day. I know I’m not alone, so which of your kitchen toys falls into this category? Don’t be shy, I’d love to know…
Related links: Recipes Food & Drink Pasta