Friday, October 13, 2006

Date & Nut Loaf


Date & Nut Loaf
From A Treasure to My Daughter

Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 50 -60 minutes
Resting time: 20 minutes (or until the loaf is cool in the pan)

Ingredients:
1 cup, pitted dates, chopped
1 cup boiling water
1 egg, beaten
½ cup sugar (granulated or brown – I used brown)
1½ cups sifted all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup chopped pecans

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C

2. Cover the dates with the hot water and let them cool (about 10 minutes)

3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg, add the sugar and beat until blended. Add the dates and water and mix well.

4. In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients, including the chopped nuts. Fold into the egg mixture. The book actually says “beat briskly for 50 strokes”, I didn’t really pay attention since I used my electric stand mixer.

5. Grease a loaf pan and pour in the batter. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the tester toothpick comes out dry.

6. Allow the cake to cool in the loaf pan before removing. Slice thick when completely cold.

Related links:

No comments: