Salmon Coulibiac with Yogurt Dill Sauce
From Marion Kane for The Star
Prep time: 15 minutes
Refrigeration time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 30-40 minutes
Rest time: 10 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 lb/500g brown mushrooms, sliced (about 4 cups)
Salt + pepper to taste
1 tbsp flour
¼ cup plain yogurt
1 tbsp cornstarch
¼ cup chopped fresh dill
1 tbsp lemon juice
16 oz/450g package frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, separated
1¼ lb/625 g boneless salmon fillet, skin removed
Yoghurt Dill Sauce:
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
Directions: Salmon Coulibiac
1. In large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper; cook about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring and shaking, until browned, about 2 minutes more.
2. In small bowl, combine yogurt, cornstarch, dill and lemon juice. Stir into mushroom mixture.
3. On parchment paper, roll pastry into large rectangle about 10” x14” and about ¼” thick. (If pastry is pre-cut into two sheets, press them together and trim off excess to make decorative leaves.)
4. In small bowl, lightly beat egg white; brush over pastry. Spread half of mushroom mixture down centre of the pastry, leaving 1½” border at ends.
5. Place salmon on top; cover with remaining mushroom mixture. Fold ends, then sides of pastry over filling to form a rectangular package.
6. Using parchment paper for leverage, roll over so seam is on bottom. Use any remaining pastry to make leaf shapes if you wish (I was too rushed and didn’t bother with this step); place decoratively on top of Coulibiac. With knife, make a few slashes on diagonal.
7. Chill Coulibiac in fridge until firm, about 20 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F/190°C.
9. Beat egg yolk in small bowl. Brush over Coulibiac. Place, with parchment paper still underneath, on baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Yogurt Dill Sauce:
1. Combine all ingredients in bowl with fork. Chill.
Makes about 1 cup.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes fish