Easy Oven Stew
From Every Kitchen Tells Its Stories
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Roasting time: 2½ -3 hours
2 -3 lbs/1-1½ kg chuck or top round in 1” cubes
¼ cup flour
Salt & pepper
¼ tsp paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp olive oil
4 small onions, quartered (2 cups)
4 small carrots, peeled & 1” cubed (2 cups)
4 small potatoes, peeled and cubed (3 cups = 1 lb/450g)*
1 cup sliced celery with leaves
1 cup water
1 can (16oz/450 ml) tomato sauce**
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
½ lb cremini mushrooms, quartered (3 cups)
1 tbsp dried herbs (I like mixed Italian)
1-2 cups broccoli, peas or green beans
1. Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
2. Combine flour, salt, pepper, paprika & garlic powder in a zip lock baggie. Add meat and shake to coat.
3. In heavy oven-proof casserole, toss meat mixture with olive oil.
4. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes, then add onions and mushrooms and toss. Continue to bake uncovered for another 15 minutes. Stir and add celery, potatoes, carrots, water and tomato sauce. Mix well. Cover and bake at 350°F/180°C for 2 – 2½ hours.
5. Steam broccoli, peas or green beans separately and add just before serving so they retain their vibrant green color.
Tips & Variations
*Another option for potatoes is to cut small new potatoes in half.
**As for the tomato sauce, there are so many brands out there that taste almost as good as homemade. I usually keep a few on my shelves for emergencies. Otherwise I make my own Lazybones Tomato sauce.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes meat