Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Cheese Rolls



Cheese Rolls
Adapted from Food That Really Schmecks

Hands-on time
: 5 minutes
Total Baking time: 12 minutes
Makes 12-14 biscuits

Ingredients:
2 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp shortening (I used Crisco)
¾ cup milk
1 cup grated cheese (I used strong cheddar)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450° F/230°C

2. Mix and sift the dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening with a fork. Gradually add the liquid, mixing to soft dough. I used my hands to form the ball.

3. On a floured board, roll the dough out thin. Sprinkle the cheese along one long edge and roll up jelly roll style. Cut the roll into 1” pieces. )The book doesn’t specify so I baked some on end and others on their sides. The cheese didn’t ooze out as much when they were on their sides).

4. Bake on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or foil (just for easy clean up) for 12 minutes.

Serve them hot.


Related links:

No comments: