Mushroom Leek Frittata
Adapted from New Recipes From Moosewood Restaurant
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes
1 ½ cups multigrain bread cubes
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 cup leeks, rinsed well & chopped
3 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
¾ cup baby spinach
1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
4 oz cream cheese (goat cheese would be great too!!!)
1 ¼ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (gruyere or fontana would taste delish)
1 ¼ cups milk
Smoked paprika (optional – for color and added zip)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C.
2. Toast the bread cubes on a cookie sheet until they are crispy ( less than 5 minutes). Remove from the oven.
3. At the same time as the bread cubes are toasting, in a medium sized skillet, sauté the garlic in 2 tbsp butter & 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat until the garlic is golden. Toss with bread cubes and set aside.
4. Sauté the leeks in the remaining butter and oil for 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, dill, spinach and salt & pepper. Toss and cover until the vegetables are tender. This takes about the time it does to prepare the baking dish.
5. Butter a square ovenproof dish (9”x9”) and spread the bread cubes over the bottom of the dish. Add blobs of the cream (or goat) cheese. Next add the vegetables and then the grated cheddar.
6. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and milk with a little more salt and pepper. Pour over the frittata.
7. Sprinkle some paprika and bake until the frittata is puffy and golden – about 30 minutes. Serve immediately with a crisp salad.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes South Beach Diet vegetablesEggs & Dairy