Garlicky Broccoli Rabe
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa at Home
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 bunch broccoli rabe, discard coarse stems
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
¼ - ½ tsp crushed red chili pepper flakes
Salt & pepper to taste
Sugar (optional – the broccoli rabe is very bitter, so if you like, add a little sugar to cut the bitterness)
1. After discarding the tough ends, cut the broccoli rabe into 2” pieces. Place in colander, rinse and drain.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and cook over low heat (so it won’t burn and taste bitter), for about 5 minutes or until the slices turn golden, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove the garlic from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients, toss and cook covered over medium to low heat for 5-10 minutes, turning occasionally with tongs until the stalks are tender but not mushy.
5. Add the reserved garlic, taste for seasoning and serve.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes South Beach Diet vegetables