Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Open Ravioli with Spinach & Shrimps
Spinach & Shrimp Open Ravioli
Adapted from Olive Magazine, April 2007
Prep time: 20 minutes
2 fresh sheets whole wheat pasta (I bought Olivieri ) cut into 3”x3” squares (You’ll need 3 squares per serving)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
12 large shrimp, peeled & deveined, cut in half across
8 oz/225 g baby spinach
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
2 tbsp EACH fresh oregano & flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook the pasta in salted water until al dente (for fresh pasta - about 3-4 minutes, otherwise follow the instructions on the package).
2. Organize the rest of the ingredients while the water is coming to a boil. It doesn’t take very long to do this dish.
3. Toss the shrimp with the herbs and lemon zest with ½ the juice in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Just before adding the pasta, heat a large skillet over medium high heat and sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil. Once the onions are translucent add the spinach and as soon as it starts to wilt, add the shrimp and the feta. Toss until the shrimp are pink (2-3 minutes).
5. Drain the pasta and pat dry. Place one layer of pasta on the plate and scoop ¼ of the shrimp mixture on top. Add one more layer and then one more scoop of the shrimp. Add the last layer of pasta and sprinkle with coarsely grated Parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve with a simple salad. My family loved it so much, they were disappointed that there wasn’t enough for seconds. You might want to consider that. Next time, I’d make a double batch.
Related links: Food and Drink Presto Pasta Nights Easy Cooking Recipes Pasta