Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
Adapted from Quick Vegetarian Pleasures
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 10 minutes (or until the toothpick comes out clean)
Makes 24 mini-muffins
1½ cups rolled oats
1¼ cups buttermilk (no buttermilk? Substitute yoghurt or add juice of ½ lemon to 1¼ cup milk and let sit for 5-10 minutes)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
½ cup dried blueberries
1 large egg
½ cup brown sugar (I used Splenda for South Beach Diet)
5 tbsp Olivina, melted (Olivina is a 0 trans fat margarine that can be used in baking; the recipe called for unsalted butter)
Next time I’d add ½ cup chopped pecans
1 tbsp Olivina, melted
1 tbsp brown sugar
¼ cup rolled oats
1. Pre heat the oven to 400°F/200°C and butter (I use the term loosely) a 24 cup muffin tin (Olivina or cooking spray).
2. In a large bowl, beat the buttermilk and oats. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and blueberries.
4. Beat the egg, brown sugar (or Splenda) and melted Olivina (or butter) into the oat mixture. Stir in the dry ingredients just until everything is combined. Don’t overmix. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups.
5. Combine the ingredients for the topping and sprinkle some on top of each muffin before baking.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Test for doneness by sticking a wooden toothpick in the center. If it comes out dry, the muffins are done. The tops should be golden in color. Cool in the muffin tin on a cake rack for 5 minutes before trying to remove the muffins.
Related links: Food and Drink South Beach Diet recipes muffins