Leek, Mushroom, Potato & Spinach Soup – No Milk
Prep time: 20 minutes
Simmer time: 20 minutes
3 large leeks (4 cups/ 12 oz/ 320 g), halved length-wise, sliced across, rinsed and drained.
2 tbsp canola oil (or butter if you’re not worried about calories)
2 cups cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
2 medium new potatoes, coarsely chunked
2 cups/4oz/100g spinach (packed - leaves only), chopped
4 cups/1 liter/ 35 fluid oz. vegetable (or chicken) stock/broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp dried thyme
1. In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, sauté the leeks in oil or butter until they are soft and semi-translucent (8-10 minutes).
2. Add the mushrooms and potatoes and 1 more tbsp oil or butter, toss and sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add the broth, cover and simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes or so.
4. Last step before serving...Add the spinach and stir several times until the leaves are wilted. (2 minutes or so)
5. Before serving, mash some of the potatoes with the back of a spoon. That's what makes it look creamy.
Serve with some crusty bread (multigrain if you’re doing South Beach Diet) and a simple salad.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes soup South Beach Diet