Nigella’s Maple Pecan Muffins
From Nigella Lawson's Feast
Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 12-15 minutes (or until the toothpick comes out clean)
Makes 24 mini-muffins
6 oz/ 125g pecan pieces, (coarsely chopped)
10 oz/275 g (about 2 ¼ cups) all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
¾ cup wheat germ
½ cup milk
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup corn oil (I used canola, but any vegetable oil would work well)
1 large egg
1 tbsp brown sugar
1. Pre heat the oven to 400°F/200°C and lightly grease a 24 cup muffin tin and reserve about ¼ cup of the pecan pieces for the topping .
2. In a large bowl, combine the rest of the pecans with the flour, baking powder & wheat germ and mix well.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, milk, maple syrup, oil and egg.
4. In a small bowl, toss the reserved pecans with the brown sugar and set aside.
5. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and blend lightly and quickly. Don’t worry if there are lumps.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Top with the pecan brown sugar mixture and bake for 10-15 minutes. Test for doneness by sticking a wooden toothpick in the center. If it comes out dry, the muffins are done. The tops should be golden in color. Cool in the muffin tin on a cake rack for 5 minutes before trying to remove the muffins.
Related links: Food and Drink easy cooking recipes muffins