Roasted Smashed Potatoes
From Fine Cooking, January 2007
These are so simple to make, so delicious to eat, I may never make Potato Latkes again!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Roast time: 15 minutes
12 whole new potatoes, the size of golf balls - look for consistency in size so they will all cook at the same time (I mixed red and Yukon Gold for presentation)
Good extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
Sea salt to sprinkle over the potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 450°F/220°C.
2. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and parchment paper (easy clean up and no sticking during roasting).
3. Boil the potatoes in salted water until they are just barely tender. Drain well and let cool for about 5 minutes. This will ensure that they are dry for the next step.
4. I love this step….fold a dish towel on the counter, cover with paper towel and place one potato on top. Use a flat board and some pressure to smash the potato into a disk. Use a spatula to transfer to the baking sheet. Continue until all the potatoes are arranged in a single layer on the baking sheet with a bit of space between them. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle some salt.
5. Roast for about 5 minutes, Flip (the underside, now on top will be golden) and repeat.
This time I served them with Roasted Chicken Breasts with Shallots and Gingery Glaze, but they'd be great to complement grilled steak or fish. And, truthfully, we could have eaten them all by themselves!
Related links: Food and Drink Easy Cooking recipes potato