Foolproof Oven Baked Brown Rice
From Cook’s Illustrated Magazine, June 2004
Hands on time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour or until tender
Standing time: 10 minutes
1 ½ cups long, medium or short grain brown rice
2 1/3 cups water
2 tsp butter or vegetable oil
½ tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F/180°C and butter a 8”x8” glass baking dish. Place the rack in the center of the oven.
2. Spread the rice in the baking dish.
3. Bring the water and butter/oil to a boil, covered in a medium saucepan over high heat. Once it comes to a boil, immediately stir in the salt and pour over the rice.
4. Cover the dish tightly with doubled layer of foil and bake for 1 hour or until tender.
5. Remove the baking dish from the oven and uncover. Fluff the rice with a fork, cover the dish with a clean dish towel and let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover and let it stand for an additional 5 minutes.