Marinated Tofu Steaks
Adapted from Fresh at Home
Prep time: 5 minutes
Marinating time 1-24 hours
Cooking time: 6-8 minutes
1 cup flaked nutritional yeast
½ cup wheat germ
1 tbsp garlic powder
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup tamari (or soy sauce)
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp canola oil
1 block (9oz/250g) extra firm tofu
1. Combine all the crispy coating in a zip-lock baggie. It will keep for several weeks if you don’t get it wet. So use only what you will really need.
2. Combine all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
3. Slice the tofu across the block in ¼ “ slices. Then cut those long wide slices in half and those halves into triangles. I made 16 pieces.
4. In a shallow roasting pan (I used a pyrex dish I normally use for lasagna), pour the marinade. Place the tofu “steaks” and coat on both sides. Let it sit in the marinade for at least 1 hour, turning occasionally. I let it sit on the counter for a couple of hours and then placed the “steaks” in the fridge in a zip lock baggie without the extra marinade. It will keep for a couple of days.
5. When you are ready to use…place some coating on a plate and coat both sides of the “steaks”. In the meantime, heat some canola or sunflower oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and cook the tofu for 3 minutes per side.
I served them with a Winter Vegetarian Curry.