Salmon Gefilte Fish Balls on Springtime Green Salad
From Healthy Cooking for the Jewish Home
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1 lb/450g salmon fillets, skinless and any bones removed, cut into pieces
1 large egg
1 medium onion, finely chopped
¾ -1 tsp salt
¼ - ½ tsp ground black pepper
1½ tbsp matzo meal
2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
3 cups Quick Fish Stock or vegetable broth
1. Grind salmon until fine in a food processor. Add egg, chopped onion (I actually cut an onion in quarters and use the food processor to finely chop it before I grind the salmon) and salt & pepper. Stir in the dill and matzo meal.
2. Combine fish stock (or vegetable broth) and one cup of water in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Taste broth and add salt if needed. (One tip from me…to make sure your gefilte fish balls are seasoned to your liking, drop a small teaspoonful in the broth. Let it simmer for a few minutes until cooked through and taste. That way you can adjust the mixture before cooking).
3. With moistened hands, shape the fish mixture into balls, using about 2 tbsp for each. Carefully drop the fish balls into simmering broth. If necessary, add enough hot water to barely cover them, pouring carefully near the edge of the pan, not directly on the fish. Return to a simmer, cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
4. Let the fish balls cool in their broth.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3 minutes
10-12 thin spears of asparagus, ends trimmed
4-6oz/110-170g sugar snap peas (or snow peas)
1-2 tbsp rice vinegar
1-2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp Asian (toasted) sesame oil or more vegetable oil to taste
Salt and pepper
4-6 cups mixed baby greens
1 green onion chopped
1. To cook vegetables: add asparagus to a pot of boiling water and cook uncovered over high heat for 3 minutes or until crisp tender. Remove with a slotted spoon, rinse (under cold water) and drain. Return the pot of water to boil and repeat this process with peas. Set aside dry vegetables.
2. For the dressing: whisk rice vinegar, soy sauce and pepper in a small bowl, whisk in vegetable and sesame oils.
3. Before serving, cut each gefilte fish ball in half. Put greens in a shallow serving bowl. Add the green onion, half the asparagus and half the sugar snap peas. Add the dressing and toss. Taste, adjust seasoning. Top with remaining asparagus and peas and gefilte fish.
Serve with red horseradish sauce - Chrain - optional