Black Bean Short Ribs
Prep time: 15 minutes
Marinate: at least 1 hour on the counter or (my preference) 24-48 hours in the fridge
Grill time: 10 minutes or so
Serves 4 (or if you’re like us – 3)
2lb/.8kg beef short ribs, thinly sliced (thick ones are great for stews and soups, not for quick grilling)
1 cup fermented black bean sauce
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients. Rub this thick paste all over the short ribs. Place in a large zip lock baggie and marinate for at least one hour on the counter or overnight in the fridge. In my opinion, longer is better.
2. Allow the ribs to come to room temperature before grilling - about half an hour.
3. Three options here:
- BBQ, if you have one. It is the best for crispy outside and juicy inside.
- Oven - broil or as hot as you can roast. Don’t forget to foil line a rimmed baking sheet and place a rack over it so that the ribs won’t sit in their own fat and juice.
- Grill pan on the stove – heat the pan to very, very hot before adding the short ribs.
4. Preheat the BBQ, oven or grill pan and cook for 4-5 minutes per side on high. Test for doneness by cutting into the meatiest part of a rib.
This time I served it with sweet potato fries (same deal, but less time in the oven if you make skinny fries) and Asian Coleslaw.