Anna’s PB &J Thumbprint Cookies
From In the Kitchen with Anna: New Ways with the Classics
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Bake time: 12-15 minutes
Makes 36 giant cookies or 48 normal ones
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup smooth peanut butter
2 large eggs
2 tbsp sour cream (I thought I had…but didn’t, so I used plain yoghurt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 ¾ cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 cup grape jelly or strawberry jam (or whatever your favorite is)
1. Place one rack in the top third and one in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 350°F/180°C. Line the bottom of 2 rimmed cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until smooth (about 3-4 minutes). Beat in the peanut butter and then add the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the sour cream and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
4. Add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture, stirring to blend.
5. Scoop large tablespoons of dough, shape into a ball (I used a small ice cream scoop). Place them about 2” apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. Press an indent in the center of each cookie with your thumb.
Or if you like your Peanut Butter Cookies straight (like me)….shape into the traditional cross hatched design, use a fork dipped in flour and press down on the cookies first one way and then perpendicular.
6. Bake for 112-15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned (It depends on the size of the cookies – I like mine normal size) .
7. Cool completely on a wire rack before filling the indentations with jam.