Holiday Sugar Cookies Kids Can Make
From 1000 Classic Recipes (seems to be out of print)
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Chill time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 8 minutes
Makes 30 cookies (actually, it depends on how big your cookie cutters are and how much “help” your little ones are)
¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1½ cups granulated sugar
1 large egg plus one yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Grated zest of one lemon
2½ cups all purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
1. Preheat to 350°F/180°C. Line the bottom of 2 rimmed cookie sheets with parchment paper or foil.
2. Using an electric mixer (actually my daughter and I used her food processor), cream the butter until soft. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
3. Using a wooden spoon (we just used a low speed on her processor), slowly mix in the egg and yolk. Add the vanilla, lemon zest and salt and mix to combine.
4. Stir in the flour until well blended.
5. Gather the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling the dough and shaping the cookies.
6. On a well floured surface (the dough is very sticky) roll the dough to 1/8” thickness. You’ll have to flour the rolling pin often (at least we did). Stamp out the shapes you like and transfer the cookies to the lined baking sheets.
7. Bake for 8 minutes, or until the edges are lightly coloured.
8. Transfer immediately to a wire rack and cool completely before any icing or decorating.