Roasted Eggplant wit Preserved Lemons
From: Herbs & Spices: The Cook's Reference
Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Roasting: 20-30 minutes depending on the size of the eggplants
2 long eggplants (I couldn’t find any, so I used baby eggplants – 2/person)
1 preserved lemon
1 tbsp sunflower oil (I used olive oil)
Sprinkle of chili pepper, smoked paprika or, my favorite – Ancho chili powder
3 tbsp or so pine nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/170C. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
2. Cut the eggplants in half length-wise and cut slits into the fleshy side.
3. Rinse the preserved lemons well and remove any pith. You only want to use the rind. Cut the rind into slivers and stuff the slits in the eggplant with small slivers of the lemon.
4. Cut squares of foil –one for each of the eggplant halves. Place an eggplant portion in the center, flesh side up. Drizzle with a little oil, sprinkle some chili powder and a few pine nuts on each half. Close up each foil packet.
5. Bake until soft (20-30 minutes or so). Let them cool and serve at room temperature.
I served them with oven roasted tilapia with Puerto Rican Ajilimojili . The richness of the eggplant, worked well with the spicy ajilimojili.