Chewy Chocolate Brownies with Pecans
From The Everything Cookies and Brownies Cookbook
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Bake time: 40 minutes
Cooling time: at least 30 minutes (if you can wait that long)
Makes 32 squares Can be halved easily, but…why would you, they’ll be gone in a jiffy
6 oz/170g unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
(Ruth’s note: I didn’t have unsweetened so used bittersweet – great anyway)
2 stick (1 cup) unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
6 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups chopped pecans
32 pecan halves for garnish
1. Preheat oven* to 350°F/175°C for metal baking tins (9”x9”); 325°F/170°C. Grease pans (I used butter and only had 8”x8” pans so I just baked it a little longer).
2. Melt chocolate in butter, stirring often. (I used a stainless steel bowl over pot of boiling water – not high enough to touch the bottom of the pan) Cool
3. Beat in sugars and corn syrup at medium speed for two minutes (I used my stand mixer) until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition.
4. Stir in flour and pecans.
5. Spoon batter into pans, evenly. Arrange pecan halves in rows over the tops of the batter.
6. Bake 40 minutes or until the center is still slightly doughy in the center.
6. Cool completely on a wire rack and then cut into squares.