From The Everything Cookies and Brownies Cookbook
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 30-40 minutes
Cooling time: at least 30 minutes (if you can wait that long)
Makes 12 squares
2 stick (1 cup) unsalted butter
2 oz/55g unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 oz/55g bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
(Ruth’s note: I didn’t have unsweetened so used 4oz bittersweet – great anyway)
1 cup sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ - ¾ tsp ground chipotle pepper
1 cup all purpose flour
1. Preheat oven* to 325°F/170°C for metal baking tins (9”x9”); 300°F/150°C. Grease pans (I used butter and only had 8”x8” pans so I just baked it a little longer.
2. Melt butter and chocolate in a microwave, stirring often. Cool
3. Beat sugars and eggs into melted chocolate mixture.
4. Blend in dry ingredients.
5. Spoon into pan, bake 30-35 minutes (I left mine in for 40 minutes) or until the center is set.
6. Cool completely on a wire rack and then cut into squares.
Ours never made it to “completely”….everyone too eager to try them out.
General consensus: superb!