From Pasta Et Cetera a la di Stasio
Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 20-25 minutes
Chilling time: 2 hours
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup 15% cream
4-5 tbsp lime juice (about 60ml or a little more than ¼ cup)
Freshly grated lime zest
Blueberries or raspberries (I have to wait for summer for this garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C
2. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar at medium speed. Add the cream and lime juice, mixing well.
3. Divide the custard equally into 4 oven proof ramekins ( ¾ cup/175ml). Place in a square 9” baking dish. Add boiling water to reach halfway up sides of ramekins. (Ruth’s note: I add the boiling water once the baking dish is already in the oven to prevent spilling hot water everywhere.)
4. Bake in the middle rack for 20-25 minutes. The budino will not be set in the middle.
5. Transfer ramekins to a wire rack to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours .
Garnish and serve.
Josee’s Variation: Coffee budino: Replace lime juice with cooled brewed espresso or strong coffee. Garnish with chocolate covered coffee beans or grated chocolate.