Sunday, April 24, 2011
My Fave Passover Rolls
From 1,000 Jewish Recipes
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 45-50 minutes
Makes 11-12 rolls (using a large ice cream scoop)
1 cup water
7 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp salt
1 ½ cups matzo meal
5 large eggs
1. Pre heat the oven to 400°F/200°C and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat, combine the water, salt & oil. Bring to a boil.
3. Add the matzo meal and lower the heat. Stir for 1 minute or until well blended. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
4. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well blended before adding the next (Note: while waiting for the matzo meal mixture to cool, I beat each egg in separate cups so that they are well mixed before adding to the matzo meal). Beat thoroughly between each addition.
5. Using the scoop, place balls of dough about 2” apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Oil your finger tips and lightly press into the center of each roll to form a dent or well. (Note: the oil just keeps the dough from sticking to your fingers.)
6. Bake for 45-50minutes, until the rolls are golden and firm. Cool on a cake rack.