Monday, April 25, 2011
Prep time: 10 minutes plus time in the fridge – up to 1 hour
Frying time: 2 minutes per side
Bake time: 10 minutes or until no longer pink inside – don’t overdo or it will be very dry)
4 split (2 whole) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded flat and even
½ cup matzo meal or flour
½ tsp paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp garlic powder
3 large eggs, beaten
1 ½ cups matzo meal for coating or (try Panko crumbs for an even crisper coating)
2-3 tbsp olive oil for frying
Juice of ½ to 1 lemon to drizzle before serving
Sliced lemon, for serving
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C degrees. Line a lipped cookie sheet with parchment paper and place a cake rack over the paper.
2. Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound it out to ¼- inch thick.
3. Mix the matzo meal/flour, paprika, thyme & garlic powder in a large zip lock baggie. In a medium sized bowl, beat the eggs and 1 tablespoon oil. Place the breadcrumbs on a plate.
4. Dip each chicken breast first in the flour, shake off the excess, and then dip in the egg and then the bread-crumb mixture.
4. Let the breaded chicken rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to keep the coating on the chicken.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 chicken breasts and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Place them on a rack on the cookie sheet while you cook the rest of the chicken.
6. Bake the chicken for 10 minutes or until still juicy but no longer pink inside.
Serve one chicken breast on each plate, drizzle with lemon juice and serve with sliced lemon and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.