Prep time: 15 minutes
Fridge time: 30-60 minutes (although you can prepare in the morning and bake them for dinner)
Baking time: 18-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 140°F/60°C and the fish is white and flaky in the center.
Ingredients: 2 haddock or other white fish fillets (judge the size by your appetite)
Flour for dredging
1 large egg
2 tbsp mayo
1 tbsp prepared white horseradish
½ tsp paprika
Pinch cayenne pepper
3 tbsp flour
2 cups panko crumbs (I used sweet potato bread panko)
1 large shallot, finely minced
¼ cup fresh Italian/flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Drizzle of olive oil for the baking sheet
Garnish: Fresh parsley, chopped Lemon wedges Tartar sauce (see recipe at bottom)
1. Sprinkle fish on both sides with salt & pepper.
2. Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C. Line a rimmed baking sheet with tin foil. Drizzle a little olive oil so the fish won’t stick to the foil during baking.
3. Prepare egg mixture in a medium sized bowl: Beat the egg and add the mayo, horseradish, paprika, cayenne and 3 tbsp flour. It will be very thick. That’s what keeps the moisture in the fish and the crispiness in the crumb coating.
4. In another bowl, combine the panko crumbs with shallot & parsley and toss. Transfer to a pie plate or large dinner plate big enough to bread each fillet.
5. Set up your work station: flour for dredging in one pie plate; egg mixture; plate with prepared panko crumbs.
- First dredge the fish with the flour, shaking off any excess flour.
- Lay the fillet in the thick egg mixture, turn to coat on all sides.
- Place the coated fish on the plate of crumbs, press down so the crumbs stick. Turn fish over and repeat until all sides are well coated.
- Repeat for other fillet
- Gently transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 140°F/60°C and the fish is white and flaky in the center.
6. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve garnished with lemon wedges.
Serve with tartar sauce.
Tartar Sauce Ingredients:
¾ cup mayo
2 tbsp capers, drained, rinsed & minced (optional)
2 tbsp sweet green relish
1 shallot, finely minced
1-2 tsp white wine vinegar
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
Tartar Sauce Directions: Mix everything together in a bowl and taste for seasoning.