The marinade was "thrown together" without the use of measuring cups or spoons... so use this simply as a very rough guide to ingredients. Taste, and alter to your liking.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Marinating Time: at least 30 minutes on the counter to overnight in the fridge
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of the skirt steak and how you like it cooked)
Rest Time: 5 minutes
1 skirt steak (flank or hanger steak are wonderful alternatives)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1. Prepare the skirt steak by peeling off the thick membrane layer on both sides. Cut off any extra fat or silvery membrane. We grilled the skirt steak whole, but feel free to cut it into 2-4 pieces for easy grilling.
2. Place all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Pour into a large zip lock baggie and add the steak, making sure that both sides are covered with the marinade. Seal and place on a rimmed cookie sheet...nothing worse than having to clean up spilled marinade!
3. Allow the meat to marinate for at least 30 minutes or If you are leaving it in the fridge overnight, allow it to come to room temperature (at least 30 minutes) before grilling.
4. Prepare the grill, which should be very hot to sear the flavours & juices in (2 minutes per side). Lower heat and continue to cook 3 minutes or so per side or until the steak is cooked to your liking.
5. Place the cooked steak on a large platter, cover with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes or so to become even more tender.