From Jellies, Jams & Chutneys
Prep time: 25 minutes
Chill time: 1-24 hours
Makes: 3lb/1.5kg & keeps for a year
18oz/500g fresh young carrots, peeled and cut into ¾” lengths
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
Freshly squeezed juice of 3 lemons
Finely grated zest & freshly squeezed juice of 1 large orange
1 tbsp cardamom seeds (split the pods open to find the seeds)
2.25lb (1kg) granulated sugar
4.5 oz/125g liquid pectin
1. Put the carrots in a saucepan, cover with water and boil for 10-15 minutes, until tender. Drain the carrots and chop fine.
2. Put the carrots, lemon, orange zests and juices, along with cardamom pods in a heavy pot. Add the sugar and cook over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Increase the heat and boil the mixture for 5 minutes.
4. Add the pectin, return the mixture to a boil and cook for another 2 minutes. Test for a set.
5. Once the jam has reached the setting point, leave to cool for another 10 minutes. Stir to distribute the carrot and cardamom and ladle into hot sterilized jars, seal and label.
Variations: very young parsnips, tough cores removed. They should be used as soon as possible after purchase to ensure the best possible finished preserve.
Serving: The jam is savory so works well with whole wheat or multigrain toast and cheddar cheese.