Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Citrus & Herb Chicken Kebabs
Prep time: 10 minutes
Marinade time: 30 minutes to overnight
Wooden skewer option: need to soak for at least 30 minutes
Grill time: 8-10 minutes
Ingredients: I like to double up the recipe since cooked kebabs make for great pastas and frittatas
boneless skinless chicken breasts (figure one per person), cut into 2" chunks
2 long garlicscapes, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup) No garlicscapes- use 2-3 large cloves of garlic instead
Juice & finely grated zest of 1 each - lemon, lime, orange
1 tbsp good quality olive oil
1-2 tbsp each: finely chopped fresh herbs - this time: cilantro, mint, oregano, chives - or whatever you favor
1 long hot red chili, seeded and finely chopped (about 1 tbsp)
whole cremini mushrooms
Sweet Spanish onion cut in wedges
Sweet red, yellow, orange peppers, seeded and cut into chunks
1 preserved lemon, cut into chunks (optional, but delicious)
1. If you are using wooden/bamboo skewers they need to be soaked for at least 30 minutes before adding chicken and vegetables and grilling.
2. In a large bowl, whisk all the marinade ingredients together and add the chicken chunks to marinate. 30 minutes on the counter or up to overnight in the fridge.
3. Cut the vegetables into similar shapes and add to the chicken mixture while heating the BBQ.
4. Prepare the skewers, trying to repeat the pattern. I like to have onion wedges at each end for a crisp char. Use all the vegetables for a last skewer.
5. Grill for 8-10 minutes, flipping the skewers every 3 minutes or so.