Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Coffee Chocolate & Blueberry Bread Pudding
Inspired by at least 10 different baking books, local ingredients & the Brown Bag Challenge sponsored by East Coast Organic Milk and Just US! Coffee.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 45-50 minutes
Cooling time: 30 minutes to 1 hour
12 cups 1-2 day old brioche (mine was from Julien's Bakery), some crust removed and cut into 1" cups
6 large eggs, well beaten
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups milk
1 cup 35% cream
1 cup 10% cream
1 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 oz finely chopped chocolate ( I used 1/2-1/2 Just Us! dark & white chocolate)
2 cups frozen local wild blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C and butter a 9x13" baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs well and add the sugar, milk, cream, coffee & vanilla. Blend well and add the bread. Toss with a spatula until all the bread is coated with egg/milk mixture and allow to sit for 5 minutes for the brioche to soak up the egg mixture. Add the chopped chocolate and blueberries. Toss to combine.
3. Pour into the prepared baking dish and spread the bread evenly. I placed my baking pan on a foil lined, rimmed baking sheet so I wouldn't have any oven messes.
4. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the pudding puffs up and is golden. Insert a tip of a sharp knife into the center of the pudding. It will come up mostly dry. Melted chocolate and blueberry juice will keep it moist.
5. Place the pan on a rack and cool for at 30-60 minutes for some delicious warm bread pudding.