Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Slow Roasted Caramelized Grape & Cherry Tomatoes
Prep time: 5-10 minutes depending on how many tomatoes you plan on cutting in half
Roasting time: 2.5-3 hours
Ingredients: no real measures
Cherry, grape or other small tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
cloves large garlic, separated but not peeled, tips cut off
olive oil (grapeseed or avocado oil are other options)
pinch of sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch -1 tsp dried herbs (optional) but I like Epices de Cru Dionysios Blend
1. Preheat oven to 225degreesF/105degreesC
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and cover that with parchment (foil keeps the pan clean, parchment makes the tomatoes easy to remove).
3. Easy way to slice the tomatoes in half tip from food52.
4. Place the cut tomatoes and garlic cloves in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle some salt, pepper and dried herbs if using. Toss and lay in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Make sure the cut side is up and that there is room between the tomatoes.
5. Bake for 2.5 to 3.5 hours in a very low oven. They're ready when they shrivel but don't burn and most of the juices have evaporated. This gives a glorious caramelized flavour.