Crispy Eggplant with Hot Caper Vinaigrette
From Best Ever Vegetarian
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total cooking time: 45-60 minutes
2 medium eggplants, not peeled, but ends removed
¾ cup or so all purpose flour for dredging
2-3 eggs, beaten
Breadcrumbs for coating…(the book calls for 2 cups of fresh, we used Italian seasoned and I’m not sure how much we really used – probably more than 1 cup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1-2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
1-2 tbsp white wine vinegar
½ - 1 tbsp chili oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
2. Slice the eggplant into thin slices across.
3. Prepare three separate plates for coating the eggplant and coat each slice in the following order…
a) flour seasoned with salt & pepper
b) beaten egg
c) bread crumbs
4. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Fry slices in a single layer until golden and crispy (3-4 minutes per side).
5. As eggplant slices are done, move them to rack sitting on a foil lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes to allow excess oil to drain.
To make the vinaigrette:
1. Heat oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add capers and garlic and gently cook for 1 minute. You just want to flavor the oil, not burn anything.
2. Increase the heat and add the vinegar. Cook another 30 seconds and stir in the chili oil. Remove from heat.
To serve – place the eggplant on a platter and either drizzle the vinaigrette over the stack of slices or serve in a gravy boat so each person can add their own.